JOHNSTON, R.I. (AP) — Johnston firefighters say they've extinguished a methane and brush fire at an energy plant at the state's Central Landfill.
Officials told WJAR-TV there appeared to be a gas line explosion at about 4 a.m. Tuesday that caused a brush fire near the Broadrock Renewables plant, which uses methane gas from the landfill to create energy. No injuries are reported.
Authorities say the fire was put out quickly, but they're concerned about potential toxic fumes. Officials say the state Department of Environmental Management is responding.
Johnston officials last week shut down Broadrock's operations because of objectionable odors. Mayor Joseph Polisena said a city inspector found the company's pipes in disrepair at the landfill.
Broadrock officials say they have been working with the town to address the odor problem.