NEWPORT, R.I. (AP) — Officials with the American Red Cross say they're helping six families who were displaced after a fire at a Newport apartment complex.
No one was injured in the fire on Friday night at the Festival Field Apartments on Girard Avenue, but six adults and a child were forced from their homes.
Fire officials say a mattress caught fire in a bedroom of one of the apartments. The blaze was contained to the bedroom, but there was smoke and water damage to other apartments. The cause of the fire hasn't been disclosed.
Red Cross officials say they're helping the families with housing, food and clothing needs.
Shutterstock/Stephen B. Goodwin